Failed to retrieve access rights.
Unable to perform an Active Directory query on domain ‘domainName’.
The above error may appear in any of these scenarios:
- View the properties of a project item in the Design Explorer, then go to the Security tab.
- Edit a user account or object security group from the Administration sidebar.
The reason may be related to using the ApplicationPoolIdentity account as the identity for the IIS application pool. In this case, the ApplicationPoolIdentity account does not have sufficient permissions for accessing Active Directory.
To resolve this, do one of the following:
- Grant permissions for accessing Active Directory to the ApplicationPoolIdentity account.
- Use Network Service as the identity for the application pool.
- Use a dedicated user account as the identity for the application pool.