There was an exception thrown when validating IIS Objects. It was unable to find the expected website. The in-place upgrade option will be disabled, and a new website will be created.
There was an exception thrown when validating IIS Objects.
This error appears while upgrading when the dashboard instance is selected. It means that the in-place
upgrade is failing.
- This error is not expected unless the original website and the original application pool was changed or removed from its original installed place.
The only way to get around this is to put them in their original installed place.
- Another reason this error may show up is if you have installed the Dashboard in a Virtual Directory and the DeploymentChoice in the registry
has a value 1 which is for a new website.
This key can be found in the registry in this location: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Dundas Data Visualization Inc\your_instance
- The error might also appear when the Dashboard website and the Virtual Directory both exist and point to the same Dundas Dashboard instance so that it can be reached via two different URLs.
ResolutionPlease back up your Datastore and Sync databases before proceeding with these steps.
- If the original website and the original application pool was changed or removed from its original installed place, place them in their original installed place.
Please back up your registry in case this is the reason and you decide to change this value.
- If the Dashboard is installed in a Virtual Directory and the DeploymentChoice in the registry has a value 1, change the DeploymentChoice to 2 (for Virtual directory), then run the Dashboard Installer and upgrade.
- If the Dashboard website and the Virtual Directory both exist and point to the same Dundas Dashboard instance, try upgrading the website, and the Virtual Directory will be automatically updated.
To do this, in the Windows Registry
property should be set to the website index for the Dundas Dashboard website. The WebSiteName
property should be empty. The Web Address
property should be n/a and DeploymentChoice
would be 1.
This should get the upgrader past the website not existing screen. The Website would be given a new temp index and a new website would be created and deleted. The old website would be hooked back up.
- The other option is to use Advanced Installation and chose the Clone Existing Databases option instead of Upgrade option to do the
upgrade. The difference between the two is as follows:
- The Upgrade option upgrades and replaces your old instance. All your projects will subsequently be available solely in the new instance.
- The Clone option clones the current instance and upgrades everything to be compatible with the new version. All the projects will be
available in both the new version as well as your older instance of Dundas Dashboard.
When the error appears, it means that the Upgrade option (In Place
) is failing. Unless many customizations were made to the IIS website,
you can proceed with the non In Place upgrade
i.e. Advanced installation using the Clone option.